Pony Club Happenings in May and Beyond
Happy June! Here are a few things that have been going on plus a list of “save-the-date” events coming up!
May (photos click here)
- On May 1st, we had an unmounted meeting taught by Joel Edge from Purina. Joel talked about equine nutrition, gave us some great handouts, and guided us in some fabulous discussion about the importance of getting your horse on the right nutrition program. Have you made any changes to your horse’s feed as a result? Share what you’ve learned!
- On May 6th, we had a workshop on tack care and stable management. This was given by Andrew Marsh who forced all attendees to clean some very dirty tack. 🙂 A lot of good learning happened as well as some good fun.
- May 10th saw a tack cleaning party at the Marsh house in preparation for the Mill Creek Pony Club Eventing Rally in Kansas City. In joining with the Quad Cities Pony Club, we fielded two teams and they performed awesomely in the 90 degree heat! Lots of thank yous to the parents who helped make this happen.
- On May 26th, many of us attended the Celebration of Life for Christian Kennedy. Bill Coester hosted this at Winds Reach Farm. Many wonderful memories were shared about Christian. As you may know, his mother, Anne, is helping to get donations organized for Dressage4Kids in an effort to make our sport more accessible to more people. While the word “dressage” is in the name, it’s not just about dressage. Find out more on Christian’s page here.
- On May 27th, many of our members competed or helped support competitors at the Christian Kennedy Memorial Eventing Derby at Catalpa Corner. Everyone put in great work! Thanks to the parents who donated time or food/drinks to our concession stand and a HUGE thank you to Chris Sharp for organizing us. We made nearly $490! THANK YOU!
- June 4 – 8 is our annual Pony Club Summer Camp with the Quad Cities Pony Club. Members will board and ride at Winds Reach Farm and stay overnight at the Marsh house. The two instructors are Michelle Mercier and Darby Murphy. Please remember to keep your horse fed and watered (and you too!).
- June 15 – 17 is NCPR Regional Show Jump and Dressage Rallies. We have one scramble team for Dressage and one scramble team for Show Jump.
Save the Date
- Catalpa Corner Charity Horse Trials – August 4 – 5
- Jane McDowell Clinic – August 18 and/or 19
- Michelle Mercier Clinic – September 2
- Certifications – October 13 – 14
I’m also working on organizing:
- a field trip for us to the Iowa State Veterinary Medical Center hopefully this summer!
- a mounted clinic with Ali Glenn in July.
- a morning or afternoon to paint/stain the water feature at Catalpa sometime before the CCCHT in August.
See you at the barn.